Saturday, March 11, 2017

98-02 Honda Accord AC: Fix It Yourself And Save

I started running into issues with my 2000 Honda Accord's Air Conditioning a couple of months ago. The symptoms were the following
  • All A/C control panel LEDs went out
  • None of the buttons worked
  • Only the blower motor speed control worked

Exactly what happened to this guy.

I could control how hard the air was blowing, but I couldn't make the air cold or hot. Needless to say, this was extremely annoying. The problem also wouldn't happen every time I drove my car. In the morning it would work, then on the way home from work it would all of a sudden stop functioning. This went on for weeks until I finally decided to do some research.

It looks like this is a common problem with this year of Hondas. I found lots of forums which discuss this exact same problem. The issue comes from the A/C and Heater Control Board and it's due to a small design issue. There's a couple of ways to fix this.
  • Get it repaired
    •  This will most likely cost around $300 for a brand new unit, and additional money for an hour's worth of labor
  • Buy a used control board replacement
    • You can find used A/C Heater Control Boards for 98 - 02 Honda Accords for around $200
    • You can also try looking at local salvage yards
  • Do It Yourself for around $30!

I found a few guides online that taught me how to fix the problem myself with just a few bits of soldering. And to my surprise, it's worked great! I've had at least a year of no issues and I expect the fix to last me a lot longer. I was so amazed at how easy this was that I made this blog just to document the fix and help others save a bit of money.

EQUIPMENT NEEDED
This will be everything you'll need to buy, and most likely you already have some of this stuff lying around


HOW TO

** I am not an expert. I also can't guarantee that this will work for you. However, I followed these steps and it worked for me.

  1. Remove the Radio Trim
    1. DISCONNECT YOUR CAR BATTERY - save your electronics. **Be sure you have the code for your factory radio before starting this process. I had to get mine from a Honda Dealer. You'll need it when you hook everything back up.
These steps are also covered in these 2 videos (which were very helpful)

  1. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the center console.
  2. Using the Flathead screw driver and the cloth rag, gently pry loose the clock.
  3. Unclip the wires to remove the clock. Be sure to pull from the plastic connectors and not the actual wires.
  4. Unscrew the Phillips head screw that is located behind the clock.
  5. Gently pull with two hands to separate trim from the bottom of the dash.
  6. There are two clips that are located behind the clock location. These gave me a lot of trouble. I had to reach in and unclip these to then separate the whole trim.
  7. Unclip the wires to remove from the trim.
  1. Uncover the AC Control Board from the Radio Trim
    1. Pull the control knobs off the front.  
    2. Remove screws of the black cover on the back. 
    3. Twist and remove the light bulb connected to the black cover. Then remove the whole black plastic cover in order to reveal the control board. 
  2. Solder the Board
    1. Orient the radio trim so that the air vents are facing away from you.
    2. We'll be jumping a pin near D3 to the pin left of R12. 
       
    3. Check out some soldering videos if you're never soldered before.
    4. Measure out a length of wire that's long enough to connect both pins but is also able bend a bit. Then solder the ends of the wire to the pins to jump the connection. 
    5. I used a really thick wire (just because it's what I had already), so I had to make some room into the black cover. I used my screw driver to carve out some space. 
  3. Reassemble everything in reverse order.

Test everything out in your car and make sure it's all still working. Congratulate yourself on saving a ton of money!

I'd like to give a huge thanks to hybridmojo on the driveaccord.net forums, where I followed his original instructions. 

13 comments:

  1. Found a few YouTube videos that might also be helpful!
    https://youtu.be/v3Sarqc7PpA
    https://youtu.be/Z_FK4x0MnBI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do exactly the same but it wont work..did i do something wrong or my pcb got prob at other spot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that! I would double check the solder and wire to make sure it’s not accidentally touching any of the other pins.

      Delete
  3. I have this issue with my Honda in 2019, I tried this process and it work just perfect. I spent $10 instead of the $300. You too can fix it

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI,

    I followed the instructions and it worked for me, thanks for putting this up to help people save money and avoid getting ripped off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It actually worked. Thanks for the post. Literally went to lowes and got 14 gauge standard wire for $5 and a soldering kit for $20. Great DIY $30ish fix vs a mechanics $200 repair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suggest that BEFORE you do this soldering repair that you check for continuity between those two points. I found that my problem was the 7805 voltage regular and NOT a break in the trace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voltage Regulator. I missed spelled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do exactly the same with magnify glass three time but it wont work..did i do something wrong or my pcb got prob at other spot?

    ReplyDelete